Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Embroidering Frog Panels Completed

I joined the &Stitches Finish-Along! a little over a month ago.  Here's my original blog.

I had posted a picture of a couple of the embroidered frog panels that make up this quilt. I thought I had finished those, but when I looked at the pattern more closely, I realised that I hadn't satin stitched the eyes nor added the french knots to the cattails.

Completed embroidered frog panels
Completed embroidered frog panels
Here are the completed embroidered panels. They do look much better with the satin stitched eyes.

I've gathered the beige and green fabrics that I'll be using in the quilt. That's one of my favourite parts of making a quilt! The pattern calls for 6 beige and 6 green fabrics but I couldn't bring myself to just choose 6, so there will probably be 8 fabrics of each.

Each block is made in both 6 and 9 inches. Here is a photo of the first set of completed blocks.
First set of blocks for the quilt
First set of blocks for the quilt
Frog Work Pattern
Frog Work Pattern












What I've learned:

  • I "see" the blocks better when I photograph them than when they are in front of me. Did you notice the mistake in the large block above? I hadn't noticed until I started working with the photo. The small block is correct. Notice that the dark blocks and the light blocks form a diagonal line. In the large block, I inverted the bottom piece. Oh well, back to the sewing machine it will go!
  • I like the fabrics of the large block, but I'm not sure if the gold leaf fabric will go with the swamp look. I've decided to keep it for now. If it doesn't look right within the quilt, I can always make another block with different fabrics!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)