Friday, December 12, 2014

Remembering Bandit (2002-2014)

Two women’s best friend died this week. Bandit brought joy to our lives, especially to my daughter and me.
Andrée and daughter with Bandit
Adopting Bandit

Bandit was a rescue dog from Florida. Apparently there are a lot of cocker spaniels in Florida and so older dogs have more difficulty getting adopted. Bandit obviously had some wonderful owners in Florida. He was generally well trained and confident…sometimes a little too much!

Bandit's two moms
Two mothers
This is my daughter and I adopting Bandit in January 2012. We got him from a wonderful foster mom. Thanks Margaret for all of your support! Although I had a dog growing up, he wasn't my responsibility so it was a steep learning curve. We also had a good coach in Jane Madigan of Inspired K9s.


Bandit in Northern Ontario
Bandit in Northern Ontario
Within a month of moving in, Bandit went on his first road trip to Northern Ontario to my grandmother’s funeral. For a Florida dog, he sure loved snow, especially when he discovered that he could eat it all! He had no problems adapting to the cold and the snow. He was also wonderful in the hotel room. A perfect gentleman.
A confident Bandit on his pink and brown quilt
A confident Bandit on his pink and brown quilt

Of course as soon he moved in he got his first quilt. He would lie down on the couch on his pink and brown quilt. No doubt about it, he was a confident cocker!

Bandit and Twix on the quilt
Bandit and Twix











Bandit on his new quilt
Bandit has his own quilt
Bandit was often in my room when I was quilting. Here he is with his cousin Twix (my brother’s dog). They both wanted to be there as I was binding the quilt before my brother and his family moved to Denmark.

Finally, Bandit got a quilt made just for him. I had a great time shopping for fabric in Philadelphia last fall. I also got to practice my free motion quilting.

Last Christmas I made mug rugs for my colleagues. Since I worked late into the evening, Bandit made himself at home in my Christmas stash. What a sweetheart.
Bandit nesting in the Christmas fabric stash
Bandit in the Christmas stash

This is one of the last photos of Bandit. He was quite sick and lost a lot of weight. He still loved to hang around with me when I was quilting. I think that one evening he decided that he wanted attention – lying down on my sewing machine pedal did the trick!

Thank you so much Bandit for your love. You are truly missed.





Bandit sleeping on my sewing machine pedal
Bandit wants attention
What I learned:
  • It turns out that having a healthy pancreas is important :-(
  • Unconditional love is rare and precious.
  • It's almost more upsetting that it hurts less as time goes by.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry you lost your wonderful pup. I'm sure Bandit was very grateful you took him in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and I'm grateful that he took us into his heart.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for loving Bandit. You were perfect for each other in so many ways. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)