Sunday, February 19, 2017

Second in the Series

Two fabric flowers
Two fabric flowers
My second Escape Art Quilt is done! It had to sit and percolate a while before I was ready to finish it.

I knew that there would be 2 fabric flowers that I had made, although I wasn't sure of their placement. I also wanted to add more embellishment, but didn't want to go overboard (something I can easily do!)

I went in my jewelry box and found a lovely chunky red flower - it's perfect!

Details of Escape 2: English Garden Art Quilt
I really wanted to add some rose quartz, but where and how much? I asked my son - he's got a great eye for the geometry of a piece. Sure enough, he did it again. He explained that the piece flowed from right to left, following the points of the two triangles horizontally. I had considered dangling the quartz from the draped fabric, but he said that it would break its horizontal flow.

Escape 2: English Garden Art Quilt
Second in the Escape Series: Escape 2: English Garden

I added the rose quartz with clear beads between them along the triangles. It's like a flower bed bordered by stones. I also added some seed beads within the draped fabric. These only show up if light reflects off them, adding a little twinkle to the garden - maybe the dew?

What I learned:
  • I've really enjoyed making this second art quilt in the series. It's fun to be following a process for more than one quilt. I've started writing down the process and hope to share it as a tutorial eventually. I'm going to test it out with Escape 3: À Paris.
  • It's great to be able to use pieces of jewelry in my art quilts, especially since I love jewelry but never wear it!
  • This piece really needed a lot of percolating time. I attempted to work on it a few times, mostly because I thought that I should. This weekend, I just knew that I was ready to finish it!

Featured Links:
Escape 2: English Garden
Escape 2: English Garden

Project Details
Escape 2: English Garden
20" x 16"
Materials: Linen, cotton, scarf (probably cotton), fabric from polyester top, embroidery floss, beads and rose quartz.
Techniques: Improvisational piecing, Free Motion Quilting, hand embroidery, beading, fabric flowers.




Linky Parties: Check out what others are making at these link-ups. MOP Monday, Oh Scrap!, Main Crush Monday, Monday Making, Moving it Forward Monday, Linky Tuesday, Midweek Makers, Let's Bee Social, Needle and Thread Thursday, Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? Off the Wall Friday, Finished or Not Friday,


Don't forget to link-up to the Celebrate-Fêtons 150 to show off your Canada and Canada 150 themed posts. The link-up and prizes will be happening every month of 2017!






8 comments:

  1. What a lovely piece!! Thanks for sharing your process and lessons too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alida, I'm really looking forward to the next one!

      Delete
  2. The piece is very elegant and rich. Last night I watched a PBS show about Royal bedchambers and when I saw your work I thought of one of those beds, with a draped canopy, floral quilt, richly embellished draperies pulled back to the four posts. Anyway, it's totally English and delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula. Those are my absolute favourite colours - so rich and regal.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work! And yes, sometimes things just need to percolate for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan - you just can't rush creativity!

      Delete
  4. I like the assorted textures in your piece. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. It's so much fun adding these - from a velvety scarf to rose quartz!

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)