Monday, July 31, 2017

Learning QAL - August Goal Setting

Welcome to the first 
Learning Quilt-A-Long Goal Setting post and link-up.

I've tried to keep things simple. Here's a recap of how it works:
  • The August Goal Setting link-up is open for ten days - from August 1st to August 10th, 2017. Here you link-up a post that tells us what you plan on learning this month. It can be an entire post or a short mention within the post. What ever works for you!
  • The August Sum Up link-up opens a week before the end of the month - from August 25th to August 31st, 2017. In this post, you'll tell us how you did and what you learned. The project you share can be completed or a WIP. It's all about the learning!
  • Cougar pattern by Yanicka Design`
    featuring her Fractured image technique
  • Prize! In the September Goal Setting post, I will announce the name of the winner of this month's prize. You have to have both a Goal Setting and a Sum Up link-up to be considered.
Reminder emails

If you want to receive reminder emails when the link-up opens, fill in the form at the bottom of the Learning Quilt-A-Long page.

Prize

This month's prize is the Cougar pattern made by Yanicka Design. Yanicka has created many patterns using her Fractured image or Low poly technique.

I had the pleasure of meeting Yanicka at Quilt Canada 2017 in June. I think that her pattern and technique make it a perfect prize since you'll get a chance to try a new technique and create a lovely quilt. See Related Links below for Yanicka's website as well as a YouTube video explaining the Fractured image technique.

My Learning Goal for August

Wouldn't you believe that I had trouble coming up with just one learning goal? Don't feel like you only have to choose one, but since I'm a learner, I see everything I do as learning. For this first post, I wanted to choose something that was realistic but a real out-of-my-comfort-zone type of goal. So here it is.

MX Dye Starter Kit
I will dye my own fabric this month! This is a huge deal for me. As much as I love learning, this one will require lots of courage. I've already bought the starter kit and fabric (Prepared for Dying (PFD) and some not prepared), watched some YouTube videos and read many blog posts, books, and reference guides.
  • My next step, which I started last month, is to write down the steps that I'll have to follow, in order. This will include where I'll be doing each step and what supplies I'll need. This is based on all of the research I've done. 
  • After this, I have to decide on some general design ideas that I want to try.
  • Finally, I will dye my fabric!
I know that it sounds like a lot of preparation, but for something brand new to me, involving chemicals, I need to feel like I know what I'm doing. I need to be flexible but organised.

One Monthly Goal (OMG)


Feathers for the inside block
My OMG for July was to finish quilting and binding my Neutral Lap Quilt - Take 5 Loves Coffee Milk. Unfortunately, it's not finished. I did get many of the inside blocks quilted (I only have 2 to go out of 16) but I'm also quilting between the blocks, and only about half of these are done. I'm not going to make it my August OMG although I really hope that it will be done by then. I'm sort of tired of it!
August OMG: to finish
this EPP hexie table toppe


Orange Peels between blocks
Since I've been doing a lot of slow work lately, my OMG is to finish my English Paper Pieced (EPP) hexie table topper. It's also coincidentally a learning goal since I'm experimenting on finishing it without appliquéing it. Let's just say that there's been a whole lot of learning so far - and it's not even quilted!!


What I learned
  • I know that doing something new that makes me nervous requires that I do a lot of work to get myself mentally ready. I've been procrastinating (a sure sign that I'm nervous) so I'm hoping that this Learning QAL will be the perfect motivator.
  • I've learned something already. Dying fabric is spelled with a "Y". I was always misspelling it and writing about killing my fabric instead! 
  • Of course I used this learning opportunity to buy lots more books :-) I'll include them in upcoming posts.
  • I may have figured out how to send out reminders using Mail Chimp. If you're interested, please see the form at the bottom of the Learning Quilt-A-Long page.
  • As I was free motion quilting my neutral lap quilt, I realised that the dark blocks are just too difficult to mark since there is a variety of dark and no one marking tool works on all of them. That's when I decided that I needed to figure out some FMQ patterns without stencils. I've found a few that may end up being part of my favourites, but it's taken much longer than anticipated. That's why it's not finished!

Related Links


10 comments:

  1. Great idea to create a motivation event to keep up of our learning goals and achievements! Summer has been crazy for me, but I will make sure to participate in future months. I cannot wait to learn what you all learn! :) thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck your learning goal this month. Looking forward to seeing what you come with after the fabric dying. And good luck with your August OMG. Sounds like you'll have a really busy month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for choosing my pattern :) I have trouble adding your blog to my blogger reading list. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. EPP is fun. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried a little EPP - it is a little challenging I will say and not sure that it would be a fav. However I did meet a quilter who gave me a large enough piece to make a cushion from all EPP. She is totally hooked on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first time you dye it's easier if you take a class or do it with someone. I've been dyeing fabric for almost 20 years now. i try not to take it too seriously.
    Thanks for a fun QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just dive right in with dyeing - really, you can't mess up! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dyeing is fun! I started with a 12-color wheel made from 3 colors and was hooked. Now I have more hand dyed fabric than I could ever use up but still love making more

    ReplyDelete
  9. busy dyeing bits of tape, old pyjama cords, cotton ribbon and mysterious beige/off white stringy things, some old cotton zips etc, stuff that does not look attractive.... at least when coloured they can be used in drawstring bags and the zips in pouches etc. Irene from Northern Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dont even know how to blog or where to start one . Could I get some help with this please ???

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)